The Florida Keys Community College
Swim Around Key West
12.5 Mile Swim
JUNE 15, 2019, KEY WEST
The Florida Keys Community College Swim Around Key West is a 12.5 mile journey around the pristine island of Key West. The race will begin at Smathers Beach (2601 S Roosevelt Blvd. Key West) and head towards the southernmost point to the Key West Harbor. The FKCC Swim Around Key West will continue through the harbor and exit under Fleming Key Bridge, through the City of Key West mooring field around Sigsbee, and swim to Cow Key Bridge. Past Cow Key Bridge they will make their way around towards the Airport, to Smathers Beach finish line. The Swim Around Key West is swum in two different oceans: The gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean. You can see lots of aquatic life and maybe a mermaid or two. This is a warm water swim with temperatures from 78 degrees to 84 degrees. All safety crew boats will be flying Event Flags and Lifeguards are positioned throughout the course. You can compete in either a solo category or team categories of 2 people up to 6 person relays. Solo category of fins, monofin, or memaid tails are also included as well as use of fins for relay teams. Every swimmer/team must have their own escort craft in the form of kayaks or motor boats.
FKCC Swim Around Key West: 12.5 Mile Swim
Location: The Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico around the island of Key West, FL
Course: 12.5 mile swim clockwise around the island. Start and finish at Smathers Beach
Friday June 14, 2019
Pre-race check/ Packet Pick-up: 1 pm – 7 pm
- Each team (one person may check in the whole team)
- Solo swimmer will need to check in
- Race packets will be distributed
- Course map shown
- Rules of the event presented
Location: Florida Keys Community College Pool
5901 College Road
Key West, FL 33040
Saturday June 15, 2019 – Race Day
Check In: 6:00 am-6:45 am
Location: Smathers Beach
2601 S Roosevelt Blvd.
Key West, FL 33040
Race Start: 7:30 am SHARP!
Award Ceremony: 5:00 pm on Smathers Beach
After finishing the race, enjoy sandy Smathers Beach –newly renovated by Monroe County and relax.
Rules / Safety Info
Lifeguards and kayaks will be positioned throughout the course
- Swimmers may not stand on or push off the bottom of the ocean floor
- Swimmers must swim around all piers, DO NOT attempt to swim under piers.
- Swimmers are responsible for providing their own support crew. All marine safety rules must be observed
- Swimmers must be with their support crew and boat at all times and may not touch vessel with the exception of team swims and then only at designated relay change points where entry and exits are made
- Swimmers will be required to have a number visibly marked on their upper arm and on their escort boat
- There are 3 check- in locations during the race:
1.Prior to entering the Harbor 2. at Fleming Key Channel Bridge and 3. Cow Key Bridge
- If you need assistance with boats or kayaks, please see website or email: email@example.com
- A Swimmer is required to end race upon notification by Race official or US Coast Guard
- Violation of rules may subject swimmer(s) to disqualification. Meet director has final authority
- Swimmers may not promote third party sponsors, causes, or charities unless pre-approved by Meet Director
- This is a warm water race. Wetsuits are not permitted
- Relays: TWO DIVISIONS OF EACH RELAY GROUP: #1: 2 person- each swimmer in turn will swim one relay leg of approximately 6.25 miles, 3 person- each swimmer in turn will swim one relay leg of approximately 4.2 continuous miles. 4 person-each swimmer in turn will swim approximately 3.1 continuous miles, 5 person-each swimmer in turn will swim approximately 2.5 miles, 6 person-each swimmer in turn will swim approximately 2.08 miles. OR #2-each relay may change every 30 minutes on the first exchange and every 10 minute until completion of the course
- Water and snacks for both swimmer and support crew. Stay hydrated. Use snacks you train with
- Swim caps are optional as this is a warm water race
- Sunscreen- (waterproof) Hat/sunglasses/event bracelet for support crew
- Cell phone for emergencies in waterproof bag
- Lifejackets for each participant in support vessel and one extra for the swimmer
Contact Lori Bosco at (305) 809-3562 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Swimmers are responsible for providing their own support crew
We here at Spencer’s Boat Rentals wanted to let you know that we will have boats available for rent at reasonable rates for the 2019 Swim Around Key West. We have center console and deck boats and can help groups obtain a local captain if needed, at an additional cost.
Please contact our office at (305) 296-8826 for any questions or to make reservations.
Boat rental daily rates
|26’ Deck Boat
23’ Sea Fox
22’ Angler Panga
22’ Panga o
* Does not include fuel or sales tax