Key West Open Water Swims
800 yard, 1 mile, 2 mile and 6.2 mile (10K)
JUNE 8, 2024, KEY WEST
The Open Water Swims will begin after the start of The College of the Florida Keys Swim Around Key West. The race will begin at Higgs Beach (1000 Atlantic Blvd. Key West, FL 33040). The race starts and ends in the water. Swimmers will start at the buoy located in the water in front of the pavilion and swim toward the buoy = beside White Street Pier. Swimmers will swim the around all the buoys in the area and return to start. The water depth around the poles is 4-20 feet. During the race, you will swim in pristine waters in the Atlantic Ocean. You can see fish, coral and even some turtles if you look close enough. Dolphins may try to join the race, however the best sight will of course be the mermaids/mermen swimming with you on your journey. (That is a separate category)
For this journey, you do not need your own support crew. There are buoys to mark the poles and lifeguards for safety in kayaks and boats.
For the 6.1 mile or 10K swim- you will need your own support crew. This race will begin at Higgs Beach at the same time as the Swim Around Key West start. The start is in the water.
The Award ceremony for the 800 yard, 1 mile and 2 mile event will be immediately after the completion of the 2 mile swim. The Award ceremony for the 10K will be immediately after the completion of the 10K. The ceremony will take place on Higgs Beach.
Swim Around Key West Open Water Swims: 800 yd, 1 mile, 2 mile and 10K SWIM
Location: The Atlantic Ocean in front of Higgs Beach – 1000 Atlantic Blvd
Course: Start in swimming area and swim east toward pilings. Swim around piling and return to starting point.
Saturday, June 8, 2024
Check in: 8:30 am – 9:00 am
Check in for the 10K is 7:30am-8:00am
at Higgs Beach-(1000 Atlantic Blvd. Key West, FL 33040)
Race Start: 9:00 am
The 10K will begin at the same time as the Swim Around Key West —8:30am Sharp
The 800 yard swim will begin first. The 1 mile and 2 mile race will begin after the 800 yard swim is complete.
Fees: $40.00 per person for the 800 yard swim, 1 mile or 2 mile race. $75 for the 10K
**all fees include a cap and t-shirt.
**$5 discount for all members of USA swimming and USMS swimming
After finishing the race, enjoy sandy Higgs Beach – newly renovated by Monroe County and relax.
Rules / Safety Info
Lifeguards and kayaks will be positioned throughout the course
- Swimmers may not stand on or push off the bottom of the ocean floor
- For the 10K: Swimmers are responsible for providing their own support crew. All marine safety rules must be observed
- For the 10K: Swimmers must be with their support crew and boat at all times and may not touch vessel
- For the 10K: Swimmers will be required to have a number visibly marked on their upper arm and on their escort boat
- A Swimmer is required to end race upon notification by Race official or US Coast Guard
- Violation of rules may subject swimmer(s) to disqualification. Meet director has final authority
- Swimmers may not promote third party sponsors, causes, or charities unless pre-approved by Meet Director
- This is a warm water race. Wetsuits are not permitted
- Water and snacks for both swimmer and support crew. Stay hydrated. Use snacks you train with for the 10K
- Swim Caps provided are required for the safety of the swimmers
Contact Lori Bosco at (305) 809-3562 or [email protected]
Swimmers are responsible for providing their own support crew for the 10K only. A kayak is the only support permissible. For the shorter races, lifeguards are positioned throughout the course.